IS IT REQUIRED BY LAW?
In most cases YES
The size and type of your premises and the risk to the occupants will determine the complexity of the emergency escape lighting required. In simple single storey premises where borrowed lighting or torches are not appropriate, single ‘stand-alone’ escape lighting units may be sufficient and these can sometimes be combined with exit or directional signs. The level of general illumination should not be significantly reduced by the sign.
An emergency escape lighting system should normally cover the following:
- each exit door
- escape routes
- intersections of corridors
- outside each final exit and on external escape routes
- emergency escape signs
- stairways so that each flight receives adequate light
- changes in floor level
- windowless rooms and toilet accommodation exceeding 8m²
- firefighting equipment
- fire alarm call points
- equipment that would need to be shut down in an emergency
- areas in premises greater than 60m²
DOES IT HAVE TO BE MAINTAINED/SERVICED?
All emergency escape lighting systems should be regularly tested and properly maintained to an appropriate standard. Most existing systems will need to be manually tested. However, some modern systems have self-testing facilities that reduce routine checks to a minimum.
Depending on your type of installation you should be able to carry out most of the routine tests yourself. The test method will vary. If you are not sure how to carry out these tests you should contact your supplier or other competent person.
SERVICING OF EMERGENCY LIGHTING MUST BE CARRIED OUT BY A COMPETANT PERSON
WHY CHOOSE US?
- We supply and service fire safety equipment throughout the UK
- We offer a comprehensive range of fire safety services for all your business needs.
- All our services conform to the relevant British Standards.
- We pride ourselves on providing good reliable customer service and the highest quality products.
- Whatever your emergency lighting needs, we are here to help you meet them.
Our engineers are accredited/approved/members of IFEDA, CHAS and Constructionline
Need to know more?
Call Head Office 01933 313912