8. Apr, 2022
Dental Practices that are regulated by The Care Quality Commission (CQC)
How the CQC assess fire safety when they inspect
When they inspect, they ask providers and staff about fire safety. They may review fire safety policies, certificates and records.
An inspector will walk around the premises and check that:
- Work practices are in line with Fire Safety Legislation.
- Fire extinguishers are fitted and suitable.
- All notices are displayed clearly. For example, fire action and fire escape notices.
- All emergency lighting is working clearly.
- Fire documentation is easily accessible.
The documents they may review are:
- the latest fire risk assessment (have any resulting action plans been completed)
- the fire log book or electronic records, including:
- fire alarm service record and weekly tests
- emergency lighting annual contractor service and in-house monthly tests
- fire extinguisher annual contractor service record and in-house monthly checks
- mains electrics 5 yearly check and test certificate
- portable appliance test (PAT) records
- gas system annual service record
- records of staff fire safety training
- records of fire evacuation drills
- business continuity plan (arrangements following a fire related incident).